Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2012

chai tea latte recipe


So Friday, the boy and I had our yearly dermatologist appointment in a land far, far away. Not really, just Atlanta, 2 hours away, but Atlanta on a Friday?!? Am I nuts??? Anywho, we made the best of it. My husband, let's call him the Walrus. He doesn't like to be on the web for anything personal, so for anonymity's sake I hope I uphold his wishes. So, yes, the Walrus was out of town on business but near enough to Atlanta to meet us for lunch. How fun! We made the best of it along with some fine grocery shopping (not available where I live. some but not all.). Who could ask for more? Me, that's who. We got caught in awful traffic on the way home. AND it was 109. Despite my efforts to visualize clear roads on 85, 285 and 75N. (It worked on 85 and some of 285 but felt my efforts combatted by the boy's shouting out, "I can't visualize it. I can't.") I guess his energy and you know, the REST of Atlanta, won out.

The Point? Oh yeah... We ate lunch at Panera Bread. I was looking for something fresh and whole grainy. Got it. I also wanted a fun beverage which leads me to the Iced Chai Tea Latte. It was so delicious and I haven't had one in a really long time (5 years ago at Doc Chey's in Athens, the boy was just a wee little one in a stroller where I got disapproving looks from my old professor Dr. Lee because just what the hell was I doing with my degree anyhow? He's the coolest. Fer reals.). I kept thinking of how much sugar it must have and of course didn't think to ask. I did however look it up later. I don't worry too much about calories, I try to focus on quality. Sugar is one of the ingredients I try to control the most. So, yeah, wowza. A lot of sugar.

Then I started looking for recipes and found this Chai Tea Latte Recipe.  Sounded good but, really 1/4 cup of brown sugar and nondairy creamer for 2 servings with it's chemicals and general crap for ingredients?!? Eeeegad. Truth be told, Panera's was a little too sweet so I took what I knew plus this recipe and tweeked it.

I would probably eventually make the recipe's chai part but we have SO much tea on hand, I couldn't bother. The Walrus is in the natural food business and we have a TON (hyperbole and all) of tea in the cupboards. A load. So, we have a lot of Masala tea that tastes, in my opinion, very much like Chai but less sweet. So here goes...

Modified Iced Chai Tea Latte
  • 1 1/2 cups of water
  • 2 bags of Masala or Chai tea (or combine the seasonings yourself and brew black tea)
  • 2 packets of Stevia
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups of milk (I used lactose free because OW! my tummy)
Boil the water, remove from burner, and brew the tea for 5 minutes or desired boldness. Be bold. I emptied the stevia packs in a mason jar, and added hot tea and stirred. Stir in vanilla to the milk. I then added the milk to the mason jar, and stirred. I then poured my self about 6 oz of mixture over a lot of ice and put the rest in the fridge. 

It's pretty good if I do say so myself. You may want to do it unsweetened or more sweetened. I thinks this was a pretty good concoction for my taste buds.

I make a mean double shot expresso cappuccino too. Stay tuned.

Coming soon... Skin and exercise.



No comments:

Post a Comment