Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

march book club

Our book club meeting this month was super fun. Good company, good reads, good food, and good wine. This month's selections included: The Great Gatsby, Wuthering Heights, and Catcher in the Rye. It was only supposed to be the first two books but some didn't want to read Wuthering so they asked for Catcher.

Some things I learned in book club this month:

  • Just like in high school, I'm not getting away with anything by skipping the book and watching the movie. Duh. As I mentioned earlier, I had a hard time getting into Wuthering Heights. I finally gave up since February was so short anyway and just watched the PBS 2-part masterpiece theater version on Netflix. I did start the book so I knew enough that the book was told in the first person by a character I never identified in the movie. The movie was in the omniscient point of view. That was my first clue that the story wasn't quite the same. Secondly, my book club friends said, "at least it had a happy ending." Er, which movie did you watch? Oh right, you actually read the book. BaH! So, I think I'll take the clue and try to read it again. Try, try again, as I always say. Nah, I never say that. 
  • I want to read Catcher in the Rye. I didn't think I wanted to read it. Although it wasn't our main point of discussion since it wasn't on our main reading list, enough was discussed to pique my interest. I could've sworn I had to read this in school but none of the discussion rang a bell. Either I skipped it or it was never assigned or alternatively, I plum forgot the whole dang story. The Walrus assures me it's a great read so I will give it a go.
  • While linking up Catcher in the Rye, I learned it's free to Prime members on Amazon. Score! I just got to hurry up and finish and return my current freebie, Land of Later On, so I can check it out. Consequently as we get closer to the new release of the The Great Gatsby movie, the price of this book keeps going up! It was free several months ago, I bought it for $3.99 a little over a month ago and as of this writing, it's now $8.99.
  • I learned that scones with clotted cream is quite delightful. One of our food hosts even made it from scratch. OhMyYum. 
  • I also learned about GoodReads from my friend M. Although, it looks like the rest of the free world already knows about it. Just what I need, another internet distraction from work. Heh.
  • McCarty's Pottery. Somebody served their food on some. How have I never heard of this artist? Beautiful, artisan pottery and each piece is distinguished by the Mississippi River running through it.

Completely unrelated but cute:

We're trying to practice for the talent show Shine. Get off our stage please!




No comments:

Post a Comment