Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

slight retraction of the cobbler variety

So, I have to retract (just ever-so-slightly) my recommendation for a cobbler recipe from Friday's post. It's a good recipe but only under certain circumstances in my humble opinion. I made it the night before and served it the next day---first mistake. Secondly, I made it as individual mini cobblers. Didn't like it.

So now I recommend making that recipe and serving it immediately. That might have been obvious to anyone else who bakes and cooks often but not me. ;-)

The next day, they were impossible to work with. Sticky and messy, etc. They still tasted good but my presentation was lacking. I ended it up piling the individual minis in a big pasta bowl, heating it up, and serving it at book club. Everybody ate it and liked it but like I said, the "blob" wasn't the best thing to bring presentation-wise.

So, what do I do with a recipe I kind of like but not really? Experiment with it of course! The kids wanted some too so I made another cobbler Saturday. I let go of my notion of wanting to make minis and went for a big one. Young Westley said it was the best cake or cupcake he ever had and wanted more. I'll take that as a win.

My new recipe for not-so-mini, not-so-peachy Peach Cobbler...

Preheat oven to 350º.

  • 1C flour
  • 1C sugar
  • 2t baking powder
  • 3/4C of milk
  • 1t of lemon extract (optional, vanilla would be good too...or both)
  • 1T of butter
Part II
  • 1/2 small bag of mangos + 1/2 small bag of mixed berries-- defrosted and drained.
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar
  • some amount of ground cinnamon
Melt the butter and pour it in the bottom or a cast-iron skillet. Mix the flour, regular sugar, and baking powder. Add the milk and optional extract. 

Pour the batter in the skillet.

Place the mango and berry chunks all around on top of the batter. Tip: place the majority of the fruit on the outer edges much like you would for a pizza. When you bake it, it will all "melt & migrate" toward the center. Unless you just like all the fruit in one hole in the center. :-)

Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon on top.

Bake at 350º for about 25 minutes. I did the toothpick test of of inserting the toothpick and see if any batter comes out on it. When it was clear, it was done. Kid tested and approved. And this cobbler-loving mommy liked it too!






No comments:

Post a Comment