Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

waking up is the only requirement for a good start to a good day

Don't you love that part in Robin Hood Men in Tights about Prince John's start of a good morning?


Sheriff of Rottingham: Sire, I have news!
Prince John: And what sort of news do you have? It's not bad news, is it? You know I can't take bad news. The day started out so good. I had a good night's sleep, I had a good B.M. I don't want to hear any bad news. So, what kind of news is it?
Sheriff of Rottingham: Well, to be perfectly frank, it's bad.
Prince John: [shouts] I knew it! I knew it would be bad news. Wait, I have an idea. Maybe if you tell me the *bad* news in a *good* way, it wouldn't sound so bad.
Sheriff of Rottingham: [thinking] The bad news in a good way. Yes, I can do that. The bad news in a good way. Well, here it goes.
[hysterically]
It's true about having a good night's sleep and a good b.m., isn't it? You can't help but have a good day. But don't worry, I won't go there. Or did I already? This scene has stood the test of time. I just have to think about it to make me laugh. It's been awhile since I've seen that movie. I think it's time again.

Got me thinking about other things that make a day good, make me laugh, or elevates my mood. Of course as we all know, any day we wake up is a good day. Cha-ching.

I think I might start me a list in no particular order:

  • cucumber water
  • cucumber/mint water
  • eggs for breakfast
  • muffins
  • walking in the Summer
  • walking in the Fall
  • walking in the Winter
  • walking in the Spring
  • same for hiking
  • riding a bike especially a comfort Trek bike rented at Central Park
  • playing games with the family
  • walking the doggies
  • going to a museum by myself
  • going to a movie with the family
  • going to a movie by myself
  • Listening to Puccini, Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Collective Soul, Miles Davis, Edward Sharp, Enya, Dvorak, Carl Orff, Berlioz, Sting, Bjork, help me I can't stop, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Keb Mo, ok I'm tapering off but there's. still. so. many. more.
  • watching funny movies
  • watching inspiring documentaries (Have you seen Rodriguez? Oh my. So good. What a sweet man.)
  • sunrises
  • sunsets
  • reading 
  • knitting
  • painting
  • writing
  • singing
  • playing the flute
  • weaving baskets
  • having friends over for tea
  • the idea of hula hooping (the idea only because I haven't done it since I was a kid)
  • spreading the love by commenting on blogs as well as receiving them
  • sushi
  • veggie wraps
  • short naps
  • going to book club
  • meeting new friends 
  • catching up with old friends (I have a good one scheduled this week!)
  • green tea latte (homemade, no sweetener just good tea and frothy lactose-free milk)
  • jumping on the trampoline
  • the sounds of birds on an early morning walk
  • the sounds of frogs and insects on a twilight walk
  • the word fruition
  • taking pictures
  • desire
  • yoga
  • meditating
  • getting a haircut
  • getting a massage
  • picking and eating wild blackberries, blueberries, and muscadines...right then and there.
  • the smell of lavender
  • lilies, tulips, irises, roses, gardenias, rhododendrons, mountain laurel, wild ginger, pink lady slippers, trillium, marigold, sweet alysum, and so much more.
  • finishing work in the afternoon on Fridays.
Okay, trying to reign it in. But really the list is far from complete. Much like Maria, you know you want to sing it:
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
Speaking of sunrises (were we?), I saw evidence of one this morning. Clouds below me and bright shades of pink and coral above me. The sun doesn't come up over the trees here until well after 8, but the evidence was there.




No comments:

Post a Comment