Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

final day...yay!


I'm on my final day of my juice fast. I couldn't be happier. I'm looking forward to transitioning over the next few days. I keep learning more and more about nutrition. I mean real nutrition. Not diets, not moderation, not calorie counting but real nutrition. Food that replenishes your body compared to food that not only doesn't give you any nutrients but depletes the body of nutrients. It's an eye opener, that's for sure.

I have some friends that are vegan or vegetarian and I've always admired their tenacity and quite frankly their physique. When I see Marcus eat, he'll pile the greens 2 feet high and just start munching down. I thought, "how does he do that and have all that muscle?" I found out...

Did you know that broccoli PER 100 CALORIES has almost 12g of protein compared to 6-8g (depending on the cut) of 100 calories of beef. And yes, 100 calories of broccoli is a lot but now I understand how Marcus does it. My friend Moon has very similar eating habits and she's quite svelte and she can cut a trail like nobody's business.

More importantly, they're both healthy and energetic. Marcus travels the world teaching permaculture studies and Moon owns her own demanding restaurant. They handle it with grace, joy, and humility. And...they look good doing it.

I will definitely be exploring vegetarian dishes more. I've always liked vegetarian dishes, well, since college but I've never tried to make it my mainstay. The main dish as it were. I won't be giving up meat. At least not now, who knows what the future holds. I'll definitely be upping the freggies on a regular basis.

I'll close this week by sharing a couple of juices that got me through:



1/2 a watermelon, 1/2 a lime and mint (my first batch was with basil). This is what saved me the 3rd morning of the fast. I made it a second time and it was too sweet for me. This is really good for breakfast or a pick-me-up snack. Note: it took me two drinking "sessions" and all morning to finish this. The second batch was spread over 2 days and 2 meals.


6-8 kale leaves (or chard or 2-3C spinach), 3 celery stalks, handful of grapes, 2 green apples, 1/2 a lime, carrot, and ginger.

Other things I learned...lime makes everything better. Lemon does too. Ginger never hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment