Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

i'm a new woman

As I mentioned yesterday, I hurt myself Wednesday by pulling my back while changing the tire on my car and following that up with a full-on workout. Oy. It didn't kick in until the evening and I woke up in the middle of the night pretty bad off. Sitting in my chair to work the next morning didn't help and just made me stiffer. Then I remembered my friend Nita from book club. She informed me that she was the best deep tissue masseuse around and that she went to one of the most reputable masseur schools ever. If anyone has the kind of fortitude and confidence to say all that, I believe them by golly. So, I texted her and she got me in right away. She was right. She's got the magic touch and she really helped me. A. Lot.

I slept pretty good last night but woke up sore again. Mostly from the massage itself as well as DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) from Wednesday's workout. I was still able to get up and walk leisurely for almost 2 miles. Next, I had to drive to Atlanta for work. Nothing like sitting in a car for a long while to re-stiffen the ol' back up again. I put a tiger balm patch on my L5 this morning and carried on (that balm is the bomb!). I couldn't wait to get to the office. I exchanged my work and went back to the conference room and did a couple of sun salutations before I headed back out. Ahhhhh. That was better. Then I drove another hour and a half for it to re-stiffen again. Oy (again). So I did several standing stretches involving a modified down dog, hamstring stretches, and quad stretches while the gas tank was filling up. Embarrassing? Yes, but so worth it that I just didn't care. I was able to get the rest of the way home.

I'm feeling much better now and still managed to complete my 10,000 steps after a doggie walk this evening. I'm not sure about my 40,000 steps tomorrow. I'll have to see how I rest tonight.

As I also mentioned yesterday, some anti-inflammatory food tips landed in my inbox yesterday and I incorporated turmeric in my lunch yesterday. I thought I would share the method/recipe.

I peeled and chunked up a butternut squash and roasted it with heirloom tomatoes. Both generously seasoned with turmeric. I also very lightly toasted a handful of walnuts and sauteed arugula and spinach. I tossed it all together and voilà! Bon Appétit


A little bonus this morning, I got to walk under a full moon right before the sun rose.


No comments:

Post a Comment